Friday, July 12, 2013

Emory Smith and Lucy Ann Swartz

Emory Smith and Lucy Swartz have a very interesting story though I have only really uncovered part of it.   We do not know where exactly Emory was born the census records tell us only New York state.  His birthdate ranges from 1816 to 1824.   The 1870 census of Nodaway County is a good place to start the documentation on him.  That census shows him with wife Lucy Ann,  with Emma 13, Delphena 11 and Fremont aged 9.   Fremont is Dad's grandfather Charles Fremont Smith.   There is a transcription error in this census Emma turns out to be actually a son Emery or Emory Smith Jr. I have spent many years researching this family because they are the end of the line for us on the Smith line. Beyond Emory Smith is a brickwall that we have not been able to get over yet.  We also do not know where Emory died but we have located him in the 1850 census of Switzerland County Indiana, the 1856 state census of Iowa, the 1880 census of Colorado and 1885 state census of Kansas. He may also be in the 1894 Directory of Dallas County Texas.  (In some records it is hard to tell if it is Emory Jr or Sr)   In another post I will list my favorite sources of information and documentation and I will also go into the shooting incident in Colorado that resulted in Emory spending a year in prison for murder.   We are able to read about this in the Colorado Historic Newspapers Archive.  We know nothing about Lucy Ann Swartz other than she is named in the birth records of a daughter in Carrollton Kentucky in 1853 and the death records of son Daniel the same year,  Carrollton Kentucky is just across the Ohio River from where the family was in Indiana in 1850. The census records always show Lucy born in Pennsylvania in about 1825.  I believe she is buried in the Keenan Cemetery in Farmer's Branch Dallas County Texas.   I will have more to post on Emory later.... below is Lucy's tombstone taken before it was removed from the cemetery. PS since my original post we have a dna match that descends from Catherine Swartz ...Catherine  married John Earhart she is buried in West Milton Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment